RIP Etika (otherwise known as Desmond Amofah)

SparktheYoshi

Respected User
Freedom! Member
Dec 27, 2016
Nevada
gitlab.com
YouTube
I have a video coming addressing what has happened lately but man, it's not just a trip that Etika (otherwise known as Desmond Amofah) died...it's horrible. Specifically in the fact that a death is what is getting people to talk about mental illness. I'm super shook up, like not as hard as some but still. Seeing Mac Miller die last year was just as hard for me. All these deaths is not just giving me introspection but it's breaking my heart too.

I haven't been about to do chores or shower since yesterday due to a backlog of video deadlines to meet so I kind of just sat tonight thinking about Etika, mental health, social media, everything. Just thinking really hard. I probably sat for a good 10 minutes in silence by myself, just thinking. God, our modern society is so screwed.

I'm repeating a lot of what I'm gonna say tomorrow on mic (already recorded) but...

Mental health is not a joke. It is not picky and does not care about your gender, race, orientation, creed or occupation. It does not discriminate and preys on EVERYONE.

Streamers and content creators have it hard, especially. You're either expected to act out this ridiculous persona in front of a camera live, day in, day out, there's no end. That can be incredibly harsh for those who stream regularly, even more so when you have tons of eyes on you. You're never off the clock and "performing", even when you're not streaming.

It's not much easier for those who do YouTube as, I, as a content creator, even when I have a semi-fluid schedule/deadlines set every week, I still can't help but feel under the gun as a content creator to quickly and reliably produce content nonstop, week to week. YouTube's algorithms aren't really easy to deal with, and so you're always under said gun, under the pressure of making content and expecting to be consistent and always there with new content or the algorithm can screw you over so much.

Last edited:

FireAngel64

Sep 17, 2018
YouTube
xxFA64xx
I have a video coming addressing what has happened lately but man, it's not just a trip that Etika (otherwise known as Desmond Amofah) died...it's horrible. Specifically in the fact that a death is what is getting people to talk about mental illness. I'm super shook up, like not as hard as some but still. Seeing Mac Miller die last year was just as hard for me. All these deaths is not just giving me introspection but it's breaking my heart too.

I haven't been about to do chores or shower since yesterday due to a backlog of video deadlines to meet so I kind of just sat tonight thinking about Etika, mental health, social media, everything. Just thinking really hard. I probably sat for a good 10 minutes in silence by myself, just thinking. God, our modern society is so screwed.

I'm repeating a lot of what I'm gonna say tomorrow on mic (already recorded) but...

Mental health is not a joke. It is not picky and does not care about your gender, race, orientation, creed or occupation. It does not discriminate and preys on EVERYONE.

Streamers and content creators have it hard, especially. You're either expected to act out this ridiculous persona in front of a camera live, day in, day out, there's no end. That can be incredibly harsh for those who stream regularly, even more so when you have tons of eyes on you. You're never off the clock and "performing", even when you're not streaming.

It's not much easier for those who do YouTube as, I, as a content creator, even when I have a semi-fluid schedule/deadlines set every week, I still can't help but feel under the gun as a content creator to quickly and reliably produce content nonstop, week to week. YouTube's algorithms aren't really easy to deal with, and so you're always under said gun, under the pressure of making content and expecting to be consistent and always there with new content or the algorithm can screw you over so much.
He will be remembered, R.I.P.