YouTube Is the whole "keywords" thing dead?

smalltownjoe

Freedom! Member
Oct 15, 2016
Salamanca, Spain
YouTube
musocraig
Hi all,

So every time I look at ways to rank my videos, I find "keywords" is the answer...yawn.... is this idea of keywords in title, description and tags dead?

Example, I found what was supposed to be an excellent keyword phrase " good acoustic guitar songs", (searched plenty of times each month, but very little competition...apparently) ...so I put it in all my titles, all descriptions a few times, and in all video tags too....

Do they rank? do they f@#k!! Even videos which are TOTALLY UNRELATED rank when I search for that exact keyword phrase!! Like "Ocean . John Butler studio version"...what???? how does that match any of the words I searched??

So, is it a dead idea nowadays?

Cheers all!

TheWarGamer11

Rising User
Freedom! Member
May 6, 2014
YouTube
thewargamer11
Keywords are used to help weigh your search results within search sites e.g. google, bing, yahoo...ect

The Main reason for using keywords is to help these search sites deliver relative content to people looking for content. How these site use the keywords that you entered into your channel/videos is unknown, from what I do know is this. Keywords should be descriptors of your content that isn't found in the title or description of your video, as search sites do use the title and description of your videos are part of the search results. If you look something up on google for an example and a video pops up in the results, what you see is the title, thumbnail, and the first two lines of a video's description.

sometimes the video title matches what you type into the search bar, sometimes it matches up with what is in the description, and if it's your search keywords don't match either the title or the description, it must have matched via Keywords.

there also are many other things that search sites use to match the person searching content to the content that I could go on for ages, but the best thing to do is to look into SEO (search engine optimization).

hope this helps.

Animates

Rising User
Oct 14, 2019
Thailand
www.animates.cc
YouTube
about 300 hours of video are loaded onto You Tube every minute. If you think about that, it's insane. Why on earth should our videos appear in search at all. Being original or unique gets harder as there is very little that hasn't already been done. How do you get noticed? Being controversial is a chance.. I think most important is being incredibly good at what you do and presenting in your own individual character. That's easy to say, not easy to do. My channel for instance is as good as others, some of the material even better but those others in the same niche have thousands of subs, I have none. Go figure. Keywords are only a very small but still necessary start in the whole affair.

Reactions: Chronically Cooking