YouTube How long does it take you to edit?

Klahn's Clinic

Rising User
Freedom! Member
Nov 19, 2018
YouTube
I don't know how some people are able research, edit, and upload videos daily. For me it takes (on average) an hour to just edit a minute of video! Never mind all the research, script writing, recording, and picture finding prior to all that. I know it's different for other channel types, so, I was wondering, how long does it take you guys (or gals) to edit something?

Indurok

Dragon
Freedom! Member
I don't know how some people are able research, edit, and upload videos daily. For me it takes (on average) an hour to just edit a minute of video! Never mind all the research, script writing, recording, and picture finding prior to all that. I know it's different for other channel types, so, I was wondering, how long does it take you guys (or gals) to edit something?
It depends on how long the video is, and what kind of video you are making. I used to have another channel where I did video game reviews. But I eventually decided to quit because the editing process was too long for me, and I still edited and uploaded two videos a day on my regular channel. But I also kinda lost my motivation to continue making those videos, especially after YouTube changed their monetization policy in early 2018. I don't think deleting that channel was a huge loss, since I didn't really gain much of an audience after twenty-something videos.

But editing my let's play videos doesn't take even half the amount of time. Like, half an hour max, especially after I started doing the thing where I change the speed at which it plays. However, some videos, which I only upload to YouTube because it doesn't run well when I livestream, I have not been editing. Instead, I just let it play, and I keep clicking a minute or so ahead in the timeline, mainly to get an idea of what to title the video, and then I add my outro.

finegamingconnoisseur

Freedom! Member
May 18, 2017
www.youtube.com
YouTube
I usually take upwards of 12 hours spread out throughout the week (due to busy work/family life schedule) and have 14 steps that I follow in creating my videos from start to finish.
  1. Watch recorded video to take notes for editing later;
  2. Come up with title, description, time markers and tags;
  3. Select music tracks from Epidemic Sound (this step takes the longest, I hand-pick all soundtracks after browsing through and listening to dozens of tracks to see what fits the mood and theme of the video);
  4. Reduce background noise in my voice recording through Audacity;
  5. Put all elements of the final video together;
  6. Add time to the markers;
  7. Preview the final video to look for mistakes or missed areas that need changing;
  8. Process the video;
  9. Upload to YouTube;
  10. Create video thumbnail;
  11. Add title, description, time markers, thumbnail and tags to the video;
  12. Place the video into its proper playlist and schedule when the video will go publicly viewable;
  13. Check once more that everything is in place as they should be;
  14. Click Save Changes.

Last edited:

Realnews

New User
Feb 25, 2019
I think the more practice you do working with editing software, the quicker you post your videos over time.