Resources Great FREE video editor

TheGreatishJimmy

Rising User
Apr 5, 2018
YouTube
It’s aged a lot since it was first released, but if anyone is looking for a good video editor, check out DaVinci Resolve by Blackmagicdesign. It has an adaptive UI that you can make similar to Vegas iMovie or premiere, works on Linux, Windows and OSX, and is REALLY powerful. It has fantastic color correction capabilities and Resolve 14 has this new thing called “Fairlight Audio” -Which allows you to independently mix all of your audio sources as individual channels. Highly recommend giving it a try, and hey, it’s free!

Reactions: Jeremy Osborne

LPSprouts

Rising User
Freedom! Member
May 8, 2018
NC
YouTube
I’ve tried this program but, it’s not as user “friendly” there are a lot of elements to the program. Just if it’s just to render out videos and do simple edits it’s very good. Another decent one is ShotCut. It’s super basic and has a easy UI to help you understand the ways of the edit but overall It’s good and free ☺️

LPSprouts

Rising User
Freedom! Member
May 8, 2018
NC
YouTube
Sounds interesting. I do have Sony Vegas 14. But I am always up for checking out new softwares.
Always good to have an alternative :D
yes, its very good to have plenty of backups and other programs. but when you get sony vegas its kinda like you dont want to get another program, lol :D

LPSprouts

Rising User
Freedom! Member
May 8, 2018
NC
YouTube
@LifelessDane yeah it’s difficult to get used to other programs once you’ve used one for so long, I’ve been using Vegas for about 3ish years now, I should probably start using something else so I have a fallback just in case :D

TheGreatishJimmy

Rising User
Apr 5, 2018
YouTube
I've been gone for a while.. But I'm back! Gonna take some time to respond to everybody I've missed.

I'll be testing it! My after effects I dont know why is recording the audio and video at different times! :( but the original video is perfect :( This software sounds like a solution for me :)

@Violeta León It's really powerful, and it's free; but it has a huge learning curve. When trying it out, remember *YOUTUBE AND GOOGLE ARE YOUR FRIENDS*, the forums might be helpful, but there are a few people who will just say to "RTFM". Let me know if you have any questions/need help getting started!

I’ve tried this program but, it’s not as user “friendly” there are a lot of elements to the program. Just if it’s just to render out videos and do simple edits it’s very good.

Resolve is pretty much like Vegas or Premiere in that respect; there is a HUGE learning curve. Google was definitely my best friend during the first couple of videos. I went to Resolve from Camtasia Studio, which was basically like Movie Maker with some animation capabilities and a little bit of color correction. Now that I'm more used to Resolve I'd have trouble getting used to other NLE's. I started with basic stuff and then when Fairlight was added in Resolve 14 I was able to master audio inside my NLE. After that I started working on color correction and started getting into the more advanced things you can do and unless they take away the free version I doubt I'll use anything else... Maybe.

@LifelessDane yeah it’s difficult to get used to other programs once you’ve used one for so long, I’ve been using Vegas for about 3ish years now, I should probably start using something else so I have a fallback just in case :D
So true. I used Camtasia Studio for 5 or 6 years before switching to Resolve once I upgraded my studio and editing rig; on setup they had an option for Resolve to mimic the design of Vegas, Premiere, iMovie, or the standard Davinci Resolve layout.

@LPSprouts could be a good idea xD or atleast have a permanent license xD

@LifelessDane If you've paid for a lifetime license for something there's not much reason to change; unless you want to use the panels and fairlight audio; or if some of the paid features like having multiple editors work at the same project at the same time.

Blackmagic Design just recently released DaVinci Resolve 15 which evidently brings more capabilities to Fairlight audio, and some motion graphics and 3d stuff. I haven't played around with any of that, so looks like I'm going to be doing some learning... Again.