YouTube Should I Aim at Popular, High Competition Content or Less Popular, Low Competition Content?

avrona

Respected User
Freedom! Member
Jan 7, 2018
YouTube
avronaofficial
So I've been having some really strange view statistics recently. My most popular series, my Pokémon TCG opening videos has had a drop in views in my last two videos. They used to get this huge spike in views within the first 30 minutes, but this spike has been reduced to about 25% of what it used to be. What's even stranger is that both of those videos are of a brand new set of cards, that just came out on Friday, and interest is really high. So is it just because of high competition right now? However what makes things even more interesting is that out of all my Pokémon TCG videos, my most popular ones are the ones with the highest competition, the openings, while anything else I cover about Pokémon TCG gets no where near as many views. However then to mix things up came the two recent opening videos.

So overall, what content should I aim at, highly popular and highly competitive, or less popular and less competitive, and how can get as many views as possible from it?

TwilightPrinze

The Flying Dutchman
Community Team!
Freedom! Member
So I've been having some really strange view statistics recently. My most popular series, my Pokémon TCG opening videos has had a drop in views in my last two videos. They used to get this huge spike in views within the first 30 minutes, but this spike has been reduced to about 25% of what it used to be. What's even stranger is that both of those videos are of a brand new set of cards, that just came out on Friday, and interest is really high. So is it just because of high competition right now? However what makes things even more interesting is that out of all my Pokémon TCG videos, my most popular ones are the ones with the highest competition, the openings, while anything else I cover about Pokémon TCG gets no where near as many views. However then to mix things up came the two recent opening videos.

So overall, what content should I aim at, highly popular and highly competitive, or less popular and less competitive, and how can get as many views as possible from it?
In this case your opening videos are in demand and popular wich is a great thing to continue with for as long as the hype for these new cards is ongoing.

Kratos Aurion

You Earnestly believe you could defeat me?
Freedom! Member
May 8, 2014
Phoenix, Arizona
YouTube
I think you should keep going for what you know is working but just in general I've always found less popular less competition to produce better results.

avrona

Respected User
Freedom! Member
Jan 7, 2018
YouTube
avronaofficial
In this case your opening videos are in demand and popular wich is a great thing to continue with for as long as the hype for these new cards is ongoing.
However it doesn't actually help my channel. It get's me views yet it doesn't help me too much actually grow. I could publish a Pokemon TCG opening and then the next few videos could only get around 10-15 views each.
I think you should keep going for what you know is working
Sadly in my channel's case, nothing really "works" yet.
I've always found less popular less competition to produce better results.
In my channel's case the opposite works. Things are really all over the place and broken for some reason.

avrona

Respected User
Freedom! Member
Jan 7, 2018
YouTube
avronaofficial
Definitely less popular less competition when you're a small channel.
However in my channel's case my videos with more competition mainly do better than my less competitive videos. It's just another example of how broken and all over the place on my channel for some reason.

ItsGoingSkitzo

Rising User
Freedom! Member
Mar 2, 2018
uk
YouTube
i just churn out the content and let the viewers decide on what they like...i know there is a ton of info on what does and doesnt work...but to me, i would rather do what I like to do and have fun doing it, rather than be a prisoner to following a format that looks at cold hard numbers over fun. This is my personal opinion btw, although i do have respect for people who are dedicated enough to do it the hard way!

avrona

Respected User
Freedom! Member
Jan 7, 2018
YouTube
avronaofficial
Aim for medium to highly popular,and low competition content to create.
Again that sadly doesn't work on my channel for some reason.
i know there is a ton of info on what does and doesnt work...but to me, i would rather do what I like to do and have fun doing it, rather than be a prisoner to following a form
In my case, I do whatever I can to finally have my channel start growing.