YouTube I am so confused about getting demonitized

Purpleoak

Freedom! Member
Mar 30, 2017
Alabama
YouTube
willie_nutter
Well it finally happened to me lastnight :D A handfull of my videos got demonitized. All of my Resident Evil videos, Silent Hill videos, DOOM, every Outlast video, some Half Life Mods, Vlogs, just a bunch of generic gameplay videos is what it boils down to.

I have nothing bad in the Meta Data either , but if you look at the description of the games and stuff of course it will have certain words that will trigger the Youtube AI? I really have no idea anymore. I uploaded a highlight montage of one of my Half Life Videos and it is perfectly fine, but the actual video got flagged.

I certainly can't appeal them due to not getting 1k views on the videos that got flagged in a weeks time lol

zeke morgan

Mythic User
Freedom! Member
Dec 8, 2015
YouTube
Yeah it happened to me as well it seems like YouTube's automatic flagging system is just pulling up certain words / games and decided they aren't available / limited availability to advertisers. Can't say I fully understand their reasoning or indeed why they can't give a more definitive reason, especially when some are clearly flagged when the videos themselves should be fine as they don't go against their guidelines (for example some of my game review videos) and yet for smaller YouTubers there isn't much that can be done about it

Purpleoak

Freedom! Member
Mar 30, 2017
Alabama
YouTube
willie_nutter
It can be a little bit of a downer when you start to earn a little bit of money, but then your videos get hit. I just don't know what is wrong with the videos. Youtube doesn't tell you what is wrong

StringStorm

Freedom! Member
Jul 15, 2015
stringstorm.info
YouTube
I read this somewhere but it said that showing guns on videos makes said video no longer advertiser friendly. It would explain a great deal why alot of small time youtubers gaming-centric youtubers are getting hit.

Drawyah

Respected User
Verified Freedom! Partner
Freedom! Member
Apr 10, 2016
steamcommunity.com
YouTube
DrawyahYT
At the end of the day, the smallest of channels should not be monetizing until they can sustain the views. Someone clicks on a video and has to sit through a 30 second ad, they see that the channel has maybe 20 subscribers and 5 views, chances are they will not stick around for too long. Increases video abandonment for most, unless the video really is a surprise hit!

Wait until you grow a little more. :p

finegamingconnoisseur

Freedom! Member
May 18, 2017
www.youtube.com
YouTube
From what I've heard, YouTube is going after horror content (amongst other things which they deem unsuitable) whether it be video game footage, reviews or even just people talking about horror. But what is interesting is that apparently, big gaming channels like IGN and Gamespot aren't affected even if their videos contain horror. Again, this is just what I've heard. You could always go to IGN or Gamespot's channel and click on a video that has horror in it, and see if any ads get shown.

TwilightPrinze

The Flying Dutchman
Community Team!
Freedom! Member
Well it finally happened to me lastnight :D A handfull of my videos got demonitized. All of my Resident Evil videos, Silent Hill videos, DOOM, every Outlast video, some Half Life Mods, Vlogs, just a bunch of generic gameplay videos is what it boils down to.

I have nothing bad in the Meta Data either , but if you look at the description of the games and stuff of course it will have certain words that will trigger the Youtube AI? I really have no idea anymore. I uploaded a highlight montage of one of my Half Life Videos and it is perfectly fine, but the actual video got flagged.

I certainly can't appeal them due to not getting 1k views on the videos that got flagged in a weeks time lol
I have the same for DOOM and some Destiny video's. With the new policy Horror games are mostly to be Yellow Monetization

finegamingconnoisseur

Freedom! Member
May 18, 2017
www.youtube.com
YouTube
Going off-topic here, but how do you get your channel icon and subscribe button to appear in your signature?

Edit: Never mind, sorted. Didn't know the words "subscribe button" actually causes them to link to the instructions on how to do that... very neat feature of this forum.

Last edited:

SannuG

Respected User
Freedom! Member
Jun 23, 2016
You cannot really blame YouTube for the situation, it was really the fault of the company that makes ads to their website such as YouTube, so generally blaming youtube for at least trying to solve the issues is a no go, only time I've gotten hit was when i added videos on adwords and try to advertise them, that's the only time, and there is a misconception in this thread, showing guns is okay (depending of the usage said weaponry) if it was a testing of the gun in the gun range then it's fine