DeadSilentTrent

Rising User
Freedom! Member
Aug 6, 2015
Chicago
YouTube
DeadSilentTrent
For awhile now my grandparents have been trying to make me give up this YouTube thing I have going on. While I was in school, they didn't bother me too much about but with me now out of school that is the only thing they talk to me about. I have tried everything to make them understand how and why I do this but they won't budge. I may have to erase all of the hard work I have done by the end of the year if something don't change soon. If anyone has some ideas on how I can make them do a complete 180 to me doing YouTube I'm happy to hear them otherwise I'm gonna be cranking out videos from here on out til January 1st, 2018.

If this isn't allowed here please let me know so I can delete it and move to the appropriate place

Jonathan

"You don't know me...but you will"
Freedom! Member
Feb 1, 2016
UK
jonathan.carter.games
YouTube
Well your grandparents do have some grounds for that kinda of talk. Being small on YouTube is not going to pay for anything. Really if your as small as you are and don't see much growth then it should remain as a hobby, nothing more. Your main focus should be on your life, getting a job. e.t.c.​

Last edited:
Reactions: Pks Playground

Hazza

Dec 28, 2015
YouTube
Hi there,

I think you need to make sure they understand the benefits of doing YouTube and what it could do for the future of your life. Since I started YouTube around 3-4 years ago I have learned many things such as graphic designing, video editing and even become more confident in myself now I have an audience behind me that supports me every day. If you let them know the benefits maybe they might understand. However you must make it known to them that you do still think about your education as this is what you need these days for a decent job.

Hopefully this helps you.

Best wishes for the future,
Hazza

zeke morgan

Mythic User
Freedom! Member
Dec 8, 2015
YouTube
Instead of trying to make them budge, why not try and see why they are trying to make you quit. Maybe they feel this is a waste of your time or that they don't see the point in it - both have been used by parents in the past, and 9/10 comes down to their misconceptions. Find out where they are coming from and then use this to counter their arguments for example
- If they feel like your not learning anything you can point to video editing, social media, and taking into account watch time and engagements reports for data analytics
- If they feel its a waste of time you could point to full time youtubers who are able to make a living out of it
- Specify it isn't taking over your life, you still have school / friends / etc going on this is merely a hobby

Of course if all else fails there isn't anything (that has been mentioned) that is forcing you to quit, you could still continue YouTube after January 1st 2018

Nolan Westmore

I take up space
Freedom! Member
Jul 29, 2014
Canada
Actxr
As long as you provide them with a reason to see that it is something that isn't impacting your potential success in real life, they shouldn't care. If you try to show it to them as a "this is a thing that could lead to a bigger thing", then they won't give two shits because they're too old to care about maybe.

You need to portray it as a hobby rather than an enterprise, and you can't let it be the thing that stops you from getting an actual summer job.

Hazza

Dec 28, 2015
YouTube
Hopefully they see a different side to things buddy and hopefully they allow you to follow your dreams.