Tips & Tricks How I Went from 100 subs to 5000!

Bijuu Mike (BijuuMike)

Freedom! Member
Nov 15, 2014
YouTube
yup just got to keep at it! I never thought i would pass 100 subs but not im almost to 10k
I couldn't seem to get any new subscribers at first even with the usual share with reddit and others (Including Steam Group). So I started running around with my name with Youtube behind it while I played, and streamed. People slowly started to come in. However I have seen a couple people explode from 50 to 500 subscribers easy.

Bijuu Mike (BijuuMike)

Freedom! Member
Nov 15, 2014
YouTube
Hi Everyone.
Couple of points, really.
1) I totally agree with all the points in the OP. Almost to the point where I would call them the "Seven Commandments of Youtube"!

I would like to add, though, regarding Step 3: Learn about YouTube SEO: Search Engine Optimization, I have recently found out that The Order of your tags is also quite important.
For example:
If I did a gaming video of Me role-playing as a police officer in Grand Theft Auto v (which i do...shameless plug!).
The first tags Would be something like: GTA V, GTA 5 ,grand theft auto, lspdfr (the police mod), gta be police, gta play as cops.....etcetera etcetera.
Then as you go on adding more tags, you become less specific, such as adding more generic words like: cops, police, gaming, police chase... and so on.

I've probably not explained that very well, for which I apologise... :)

Also, in the long run, to ensure your videos are ranked as high as possible, resist the temptation to insert inappropriate and irrelevant tags, like popular channel names, or popular tags.
If people start watching your video because it was suggested by another, completely un-related, video and they watch a few seconds before clicking away, that will hurt your viewer retention figures, which has massive knock on effects regarding rank and advertising ( would you pay alot to advertise on a video no one watches?).

Talking of channel names... Top Tip.
Always put your channel name in the tags of all your videos.
There is only one you, so automatically youtube should associate all your videos together when it comes to suggested videos. If someone is watching one of your videos, why have a side bar full of other peoples content, tempting your viewer away...keep hold of them for as long as you can.

One more thing, as I'm on a roll :)
I honestly cannot see the point in "sub4sub".
Why? What is the actual point?
I'd much rather have 1000 subs gained because people want to watch my content...and do, than have 10,000 subs because I have subbed to 10,000 other channels and they have 'Returned the favour', but none of them have any interest in my content.
(OK I may have exaggerated a bit, but you get the point)
In fact, I can think of few things worse than having a large amount of subs, but a small amount of views. How can you build a channel like that?
But thats just what I think, and I am far from being any sort of guru on the topic.
I have been active on youtube Since late march this year ('15) and have learnt SO much, but have so much more to learn. I wish you all the best of luck!

Right...now I'm gonna check out your channels....you dont have to check mine if you don't want and if you do, definitly dont subscribe if you don't enjoy what you see!
Cheers!
G
yeah i wondered about the order too i have a app called tube buddy which if you dont have already you need to get. Its gives you the option to change the order of the tags and i thought to myself "what does the order matter?" so maybe it does factor in to getting more views.

Reactions: Gazarhya

GodsSon

Respected User
Freedom! Member
Nov 28, 2015
U.S.A.
YouTube
ThisIsGodsSon
I really hope these tips will help someone out there.
I am just like you friend, I am a young adult who wants to capitalize off of the energy to keep people coming back for more.
Everything you've stated, I knew already to a certain extent. But, the SEO is what really brought me to comment here.
I am going to study SEO and how it works. I feel it will help me (thanks to you) maximize my audience!

Bijuu Mike (BijuuMike)

Freedom! Member
Nov 15, 2014
YouTube
I really hope these tips will help someone out there.
I am just like you friend, I am a young adult who wants to capitalize off of the energy to keep people coming back for more.
Everything you've stated, I knew already to a certain extent. But, the SEO is what really brought me to comment here.
I am going to study SEO and how it works. I feel it will help me (thanks to you) maximize my audience!
I am still learning about it too its not something people find out about right off the bat. People got to remember that Youtube is a search engine.

GodsSon

Respected User
Freedom! Member
Nov 28, 2015
U.S.A.
YouTube
ThisIsGodsSon
I am still learning about it too its not something people find out about right off the bat. People got to remember that Youtube is a search engine.

Well said, yes, so am I. I find it really interesting to start studying the SEO side of promotion. I did take a crack at AdWords once, I ran an Ad campagne for $100 until it ran out. That's another tip for people, if they want to get seen more, set up an AdWords account and you can run even a $5 Ad for maybe a few hours I believe, to have Google run your video as an Ad on other people's channels. Picking the best video for Google to advertise is a must though :)

Bijuu Mike (BijuuMike)

Freedom! Member
Nov 15, 2014
YouTube
Well said, yes, so am I. I find it really interesting to start studying the SEO side of promotion. I did take a crack at AdWords once, I ran an Ad campagne for $100 until it ran out. That's another tip for people, if they want to get seen more, set up an AdWords account and you can run even a $5 Ad for maybe a few hours I believe, to have Google run your video as an Ad on other people's channels. Picking the best video for Google to advertise is a must though :)
i have thought of this but was not sure if it would be a waste or not... if you dont mind what was the result of that $100 ad?

Reactions: GodsSon

GodsSon

Respected User
Freedom! Member
Nov 28, 2015
U.S.A.
YouTube
ThisIsGodsSon
i have thought of this but was not sure if it would be a waste or not... if you dont mind what was the result of that $100 ad?

In all honesty, it is somewhat of a waste. Let me explain, the only waste is your money lol. Because the Ads don't guarantee people actually checking out your video. I'm sure you get ticked off at Ads sometime that doesn't concern you, and skip them haha. Apart from the money being the only waste in the experiment; it still brings potential to gain subs. I have gained maybe 22 subscribers from that campaign. Mind you, I never have one of my best videos to be the Ad; I had placed my channel trailer, which I felt would let people at least know what content to be on the lookout for. I do plan on doing this in the future again, definitely. Even experimenting with different videos. Especially if I get a bigger audience, I feel the Ads will spread to more people.

The way it worked for me was, when I created the Ad campaign, it only ran for about 1 week and some change.
People will have to monitor the Ad from their AdWords page. Because if you sometimes leave the Ad running, without telling Google that you want the Ad to stop at a certain amount of money? then it'll keep going, and Lord help all who do not have overdraft protection to their bank account. I kind of done it as well for Twitter, the difference there was I gain't at least 300 followers. Which, again, are real people, and can easily unfollow you lol.

Reactions: Gazarhya