Tips & Tricks How I Went from 100 subs to 5000!

SuperRetroBro

Respected User
Aug 12, 2014
Somewhere
YouTube
Just make unique content, Is simple. I use to make "let's plays" but it didn't went well since everybody is doing it. Later I stared to make papercraft time lapse video and my channel grew out of no where.

Bijuu Mike (BijuuMike)

Freedom! Member
Nov 15, 2014
YouTube
Thanks for the tips
your very welcome dude![DOUBLEPOST=1447910710][/DOUBLEPOST]
Just make unique content, Is simple. I use to make "let's plays" but it didn't went well since everybody is doing it. Later I stared to make papercraft time lapse video and my channel grew out of no where.
thats awesome im glad you found your thing :)[DOUBLEPOST=1447910752][/DOUBLEPOST]
Thanks for the great tips! I feel like i'm already doing these things though ;)
then my suggestion is to keep refining yourslelf try to improve always![DOUBLEPOST=1447989848][/DOUBLEPOST]
Thanks for the tips
Your welcome I really hope it helps you out.

Last edited:

Gazarhya

New User
Freedom! Member
Hi Everyone.
Couple of points, really.
1) I totally agree with all the points in the OP. Almost to the point where I would call them the "Seven Commandments of Youtube"!

I would like to add, though, regarding Step 3: Learn about YouTube SEO: Search Engine Optimization, I have recently found out that The Order of your tags is also quite important.
For example:
If I did a gaming video of Me role-playing as a police officer in Grand Theft Auto v (which i do...shameless plug!).
The first tags Would be something like: GTA V, GTA 5 ,grand theft auto, lspdfr (the police mod), gta be police, gta play as cops.....etcetera etcetera.
Then as you go on adding more tags, you become less specific, such as adding more generic words like: cops, police, gaming, police chase... and so on.

I've probably not explained that very well, for which I apologise... :)

Also, in the long run, to ensure your videos are ranked as high as possible, resist the temptation to insert inappropriate and irrelevant tags, like popular channel names, or popular tags.
If people start watching your video because it was suggested by another, completely un-related, video and they watch a few seconds before clicking away, that will hurt your viewer retention figures, which has massive knock on effects regarding rank and advertising ( would you pay alot to advertise on a video no one watches?).

Talking of channel names... Top Tip.
Always put your channel name in the tags of all your videos.
There is only one you, so automatically youtube should associate all your videos together when it comes to suggested videos. If someone is watching one of your videos, why have a side bar full of other peoples content, tempting your viewer away...keep hold of them for as long as you can.

One more thing, as I'm on a roll :)
I honestly cannot see the point in "sub4sub".
Why? What is the actual point?
I'd much rather have 1000 subs gained because people want to watch my content...and do, than have 10,000 subs because I have subbed to 10,000 other channels and they have 'Returned the favour', but none of them have any interest in my content.
(OK I may have exaggerated a bit, but you get the point)
In fact, I can think of few things worse than having a large amount of subs, but a small amount of views. How can you build a channel like that?
But thats just what I think, and I am far from being any sort of guru on the topic.
I have been active on youtube Since late march this year ('15) and have learnt SO much, but have so much more to learn. I wish you all the best of luck!

Right...now I'm gonna check out your channels....you dont have to check mine if you don't want and if you do, definitly dont subscribe if you don't enjoy what you see!
Cheers!
G

zeke morgan

Mythic User
Freedom! Member
Dec 8, 2015
YouTube
Hi Everyone.
Couple of points, really.
1) I totally agree with all the points in the OP. Almost to the point where I would call them the "Seven Commandments of Youtube"!

I would like to add, though, regarding Step 3: Learn about YouTube SEO: Search Engine Optimization, I have recently found out that The Order of your tags is also quite important.
For example:
If I did a gaming video of Me role-playing as a police officer in Grand Theft Auto v (which i do...shameless plug!).
The first tags Would be something like: GTA V, GTA 5 ,grand theft auto, lspdfr (the police mod), gta be police, gta play as cops.....etcetera etcetera.
Then as you go on adding more tags, you become less specific, such as adding more generic words like: cops, police, gaming, police chase... and so on.

I've probably not explained that very well, for which I apologise... :)

Also, in the long run, to ensure your videos are ranked as high as possible, resist the temptation to insert inappropriate and irrelevant tags, like popular channel names, or popular tags.
If people start watching your video because it was suggested by another, completely un-related, video and they watch a few seconds before clicking away, that will hurt your viewer retention figures, which has massive knock on effects regarding rank and advertising ( would you pay alot to advertise on a video no one watches?).

Talking of channel names... Top Tip.
Always put your channel name in the tags of all your videos.
There is only one you, so automatically youtube should associate all your videos together when it comes to suggested videos. If someone is watching one of your videos, why have a side bar full of other peoples content, tempting your viewer away...keep hold of them for as long as you can.

One more thing, as I'm on a roll :)
I honestly cannot see the point in "sub4sub".
Why? What is the actual point?
I'd much rather have 1000 subs gained because people want to watch my content...and do, than have 10,000 subs because I have subbed to 10,000 other channels and they have 'Returned the favour', but none of them have any interest in my content.
(OK I may have exaggerated a bit, but you get the point)
In fact, I can think of few things worse than having a large amount of subs, but a small amount of views. How can you build a channel like that?
But thats just what I think, and I am far from being any sort of guru on the topic.
I have been active on youtube Since late march this year ('15) and have learnt SO much, but have so much more to learn. I wish you all the best of luck!

Right...now I'm gonna check out your channels....you dont have to check mine if you don't want and if you do, definitly dont subscribe if you don't enjoy what you see!
Cheers!
G

May I be the first to say thanks for such a detailed addition to the OP. I'm definitely going to take you idea of including my channel name into my videos tags from now on.[DOUBLEPOST=1451520145][/DOUBLEPOST]
1 year, 80 subs. No sub4sub, advertising on other channels, or clickbait. I feel proud of myself :) Now the journey to 100 then to reach my ultimate goal of 1000

Keep posting your quality videos Sam4jedi, and you will be there in no time.

Reactions: Gazarhya

Mr Teamguy

Rising User
Freedom! Member
Oct 16, 2015
YouTube
Well i got 50 subs in the first month , with no sub 4 sub , but just being active with my videos and trying to collaborating with other small channels . But now my number of subscribers just stopped growing (or at least grows slower) only because i steped from youtube for a month for health issues . Thanks for the tips btw

Reactions: Gazarhya

Gazarhya

New User
Freedom! Member
Well i got 50 subs in the first month , with no sub 4 sub ....
Nice going, sorry to hear about the health issues, hope you're better now.
It does seam that consistency of activity (if that makes sense) is a key factor in not just maintaining the flow of subs, but also stemming the 'Ebb', or loss of subs.

I subscribe to some channels that haven't uploaded for many many months, sometimes years, but I know I will watch whatever they put up next, not everyone is like that though, and it's almost as though if you don't put up regular content, then you aren't worth watching, which seems daft to me.
Look at it this way, if the reason your sub rate is slowing is because you are loosing more than you used to, think of it as a "purification" process, fine tuning your fan base.
As I said before, quality not quantity, a sub that doesn't view is pretty much a pointless sub.

Reactions: Mr Teamguy

Mr Cotton

Nov 23, 2015
YouTube
I couldn't seem to get any new subscribers at first even with the usual share with reddit and others (Including Steam Group). So I started running around with my name with Youtube behind it while I played, and streamed. People slowly started to come in. However I have seen a couple people explode from 50 to 500 subscribers easy.

BBphoniex Gaming

Mythic User
Freedom! Member
Apr 1, 2015
India
YouTube
BBphoniex
If you are one of the MANY people that are struggling to gain views, subscribers, or the attention you deserve i know EXACTLY how you feel. in this video i share some tips that have helped me grow my channel from 100 subs to almost 5000 now in just a few months i really hope you get something out of this!

Hey Im Bijuu Mike i have been doing Youtube gaming videos for a little over a year know and i wanted to share some helpful tips that have led me to gain some serious growth in the past few months.

Step 1: Watch Your own Videos back!
You may just be recording and uploaded but never take the time to decide, is your videos good? It sounds silly but it is something you must do because you are your worst critic. Take some things from your videos that you can improve on and work on them, This could be more editing, more talking, or it may want you to improve your quality. If you find yourself not laughing from your own videos then don't expect others to find them great.

Step :2 Make Eye Catching Thumbnails and have great Titles.
You can spend all the time editing and making the most perfect video in the world but it will not mean a thing if nobody will click on your video because you were too lazy on your thumbnails and did not put any thought in your title. Think about the last time you were on YouTube and you found yourself watching some random video, now why did you click that video? I don't think i need to explain further.

Step 3: Learn about YouTube SEO: Search Engine Optimization
YouTube and google are the 2 biggest search engines in the world and Videos are sorted through categories and words. Its important that you do a little bit of research on what kind of words are associated with the type of video you are making. One thing i learned to do was to stop being lazy and not hardly putting anything in my descriptions. Its important to fill it up with as many words as you can that explains what your videos is about because this will help YouTube Sort your video out better with the many keywords. For tags make sure you are putting phrases people like yourself will actually type in the search bar.

Step 4: Create Call to Actions on Your Videos
Call to actions are ways you can drive viewers to either subscribe or to other videos or playlists. What i do is put a annotation in my popular videos that say "Want more? SUBSCRIBE" This makes it very simple to subscribe especially if they liked the video. Even if people liked your video it doesn't always mean they will subscribe.

Step 5: Share your content in appropriate places
Make sure you are sharing your videos in a non spamy way, instead of saying "SUBSCRIBE TO ME NOW!" you would first explain your video maybe in a funny way to get people to read and want to watch your video, Then empower the viewer by giving them the choice to watch more or maybe subscribing. Say something like "if you liked this video feel free to check out more of videos on my channel just like this one!"

Step 6: Engage with your audience
One of the worse things you can do once you get people to watch and comment is not responding to them. Remember that your audience is what makes your channel and you should always appreciate them even some of the bad comment could be taken good. Always respond it will make people come back for more.

Hope you got something out of this and if you are serious and passionate about YouTube then there is no way you wont grow! :) Check out the video to this guide here
really nice tip liked it