Resources I want to use a popular song for my video, what should I do?

Row

Forum Administrator // YouTuber... -ish
Freedom! Member
Feb 21, 2014
YouTube
Hey community!

If you want to use a certain popular song in your video, make sure to check about their usage restrictions.
YouTube has a feature for partners that allows you to do so.

http://www.youtube.com/audiolibrary/ad_supported_music

"Once you find the music you want to use, you’ll see the copyright owner’s policy for videos that include it. There are a few types of policies you may see:
  1. Monetize: Ads will appear on your video and revenue will go to the copyright owner.
  2. Block worldwide: One or more copyright owners don’t allow use of the music, and your video will be unavailable on YouTube.
  3. Block in some countries: One or more copyright owners have restricted the countries in which the music is available, and your video won’t be viewable where the music is blocked."
Source: https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/3376882?hl=en&rd=1

Hope that helps!

SoapSauce

Rising User
Freedom! Member
Jan 1, 2015
YouTube
So, to be clear, if everything in the video is content I create, and am able to monetize, if it has even a 20 second bit from a song, I can't get paid?

Reactions: Jordin Vera

8-Bit-Relic

Renowned User
Freedom! Member
Dec 17, 2014
Ireland
YouTube
This is how it works. The system is scanning all content and marking your vid thar it used claimed copyrighted content. You don't one the content - if you want to use it you have to play by the owners rules.

Flekz

Rising User
Freedom! Member
Sep 14, 2015
YouTube
I think it is a little exagerated to put 20 seconds of that music and not being paid, maybe they should do a half thing, like half money to you and half to the song owner

8-Bit-Relic

Renowned User
Freedom! Member
Dec 17, 2014
Ireland
YouTube
I think it is a little exagerated to put 20 seconds of that music and not being paid, maybe they should do a half thing, like half money to you and half to the song owner
Technically we aren`t even allowed to use this part of the song either...
I have one video flagged for a couple of seconds...

UnderGroundTank

Distinguished User
Freedom! Member
Aug 11, 2014
YouTube
Don't use popular songs unless the providing studio and or creator give you permission. If this permission happens make sure you keep documentation so you can declare said person gave you the ability to use said music in case they file a claim. In most cases regarding music I would go to the studio rather then the creator since in most situations the studio would be the one having YouTube flag video because they are hungry hungry hippos of the music game.

Also copyright strikes can declare a partnership null and void because you not only make yourself look bad but you make the company look worse because they "allowed" it to happen. No matter what angle you look at it there is always a bad angle to it.

I would go with what freedom provides in terms of copyrighted music. Good luck with everything

Reactions: TheKevit07

TheKevit07

Freedom! Member
Jun 25, 2015
YouTube
Don't use popular songs unless the providing studio and or creator give you permission. If this permission happens make sure you keep documentation so you can declare said person gave you the ability to use said music in case they file a claim. In most cases regarding music I would go to the studio rather then the creator since in most situations the studio would be the one having YouTube flag video because they are hungry hungry hippos of the music game.

Also copyright strikes can declare a partnership null and void because you not only make yourself look bad but you make the company look worse because they "allowed" it to happen. No matter what angle you look at it there is always a bad angle to it.

I would go with what freedom provides in terms of copyrighted music. Good luck with everything

What this guy said. GET WRITTEN CONSENT, whether it be via Tweet, FB message, email, that ALL counts as documentation. Working in a jail, we had the saying, "If it wasn't written down, it never happened." I keep all the emails of people I have permission to use music from.

Just letting you know, if it's like Columbia Records or something, they probably won't even respond back. I've found a good portion of the big time labels don't want to "waste time" with that. Depending on the music you need, Simon Viklund is pretty cool with his fanbase (let me use his music for an outro I want to make, as long as I provide credit in description), and there's some pretty talented musicians on here I recently found out!

Nuke

Proud Nerd & YouTuber
Freedom! Member
I wouldn't risk it but you can put copyright music in videos for 6 seconds or less, YouTube won't be able to detect it but again I wouldn't risk it. There is a lot of royalty free music out there, especially on Position Music.

Dillon

Freedom! Member
Jun 3, 2014
YouTube
Long story short:
You can usually get away with an intro's worth of copyright song; the unofficial rumor is that you can use up to 15-20 seconds of a song before YouTube recognizes it as copyright.
HOWEVER - if YouTube detects it, or the artist files a claim, you could easily lose monetization for that video.
Usually the worst case is that you simply divert earnings to them, but some instances require you to edit out the music or sound altogether.
So basically, use short snippets at your own risk, but rest easy knowing that a karaoke track or a few seconds of a song will almost guarantee'dly go unnoticed.
It's safer to go with Royalty-free music, but a few seconds shouldn't virtually ever be a problem.
God bless the Digital Millennium Copyright Act.
(this includes cover songs - if it's not noticeably different from the original, you *will* be notified - it's happened to me)