YouTube is it a bad thing to watch your old videos?

tovah

Respected User
Freedom! Member
Jan 25, 2018
YouTube
i mean now have old videos from 2017-early 2018 and even the early 2018 ones surprise me how different my content was.

LW

Community Manager
Administrator
Freedom! Member
Apr 2, 2016
Vienna, Austria
twitter.com
YouTube
lw_001
Why would that be a bad thing? It's always interesting to see how your content has evolved over time and maybe - just maybe - you can even learn a bit off of your old videos!

tovah

Respected User
Freedom! Member
Jan 25, 2018
YouTube
I think that's a good thing! It can be a little cringy but you sure see how much you've improved
yeah it can be little cringy looking at my 2016 videos just like ugh in 2016 i barley edited my videos and my thumbnails were bad at some point i need to do a thumbnail evolution im a write that down LOL.[DOUBLEPOST=1538983910][/DOUBLEPOST]
Why would that be a bad thing? It's always interesting to see how your content has evolved over time and maybe - just maybe - you can even learn a bit off of your old videos!
the crazy thing is that 2.0 was supposed every era of my channel combined but better and also i was inspired by my old videos so.

Reactions: Thelazysideoflife

zeke morgan

Mythic User
Freedom! Member
Dec 8, 2015
YouTube
I wouldn't say its a bad thing, as you can always learn from your old videos, obviously as long as you aren't watching these to increase your view time, then anything else is fine. You can always learn from your old videos, and I would recommend it.

tovah

Respected User
Freedom! Member
Jan 25, 2018
YouTube
I wouldn't say its a bad thing, as you can always learn from your old videos, obviously as long as you aren't watching these to increase your view time, then anything else is fine. You can always learn from your old videos, and I would recommend it.
but why would u watch your old videos for view time increase but anyways its not a bad thing tho back then my videos i hardly ever placed in playlists.

iGoDZoFLuiGii

Respected User
Freedom! Member
I watched some of my old videos from 2010, I thinks it good because its a way for you as a creator to see what videos you used to do and how to better prepare for future ones.

I removed a lot of my old videos from 2010-2012/13 (I have them all backed up on a hard drive) because I plan to re do them with better care, planning and explain what I should of done from the beginning.

tovah

Respected User
Freedom! Member
Jan 25, 2018
YouTube
I watched some of my old videos from 2010, I thinks it good because its a way for you as a creator to see what videos you used to do and how to better prepare for future ones.

I removed a lot of my old videos from 2010-2012/13 (I have them all backed up on a hard drive) because I plan to re do them with better care, planning and explain what I should of done from the beginning.
i removed almost half of my rants in mid 2017 for whatever reason and on my old pc i don't think i even have the files to get them back however none of my videos are backed to hard drives so.

LW

Community Manager
Administrator
Freedom! Member
Apr 2, 2016
Vienna, Austria
twitter.com
YouTube
lw_001
but why would u watch your old videos for view time increase but anyways its not a bad thing tho back then my videos i hardly ever placed in playlists.
A lot of people watch their own videos to increase views and watch time... You should do playlists though, even for old videos in my opinion.

tovah

Respected User
Freedom! Member
Jan 25, 2018
YouTube
A lot of people watch their own videos to increase views and watch time... You should do playlists though, even for old videos in my opinion.
i have playlist just u would have to scroll on my channel page to get there because i place recently uploaded there first.

KrazyK Gaming

Respected User
Freedom! Member
Jul 30, 2015
Southern California
YouTube
I find it to be kind of like a time capsule. A lot of my earlier content, I thought was amazing, but after looking back at them, I was like "Wow, I remember this video, I was super happy with it and thought it was amazing back then!" but looking at it today, it's like "Eh, if I could re-do this entire video, I'd do this or that to it."

I used to barely edit videos... but now I take my time in doing so.

tovah

Respected User
Freedom! Member
Jan 25, 2018
YouTube
I find it to be kind of like a time capsule. A lot of my earlier content, I thought was amazing, but after looking back at them, I was like "Wow, I remember this video, I was super happy with it and thought it was amazing back then!" but looking at it today, it's like "Eh, if I could re-do this entire video, I'd do this or that to it."

I used to barely edit videos... but now I take my time in doing so.
same i used to barely edit them now its like i do i mean with thumbnails there so different from what they were now like.

tovah

Respected User
Freedom! Member
Jan 25, 2018
YouTube
Honestly, I never really used thumbnails. But I have seen a major change since I started to use thumbnails and actively use tags. It's crazy.
of course i mean pretty soon im a going to use lower thirds on my videos.[DOUBLEPOST=1539511084][/DOUBLEPOST]
subtle changes can make a huge impact on our channels
i guess it might and i guess Small impact does" who knows i mean i didn't use Tags until this year" and ive been on youtube for 5 years.

Killey

New User
Oct 14, 2018
YouTube
As some people replied here It's good to rewatch your old videos most importantly because you can learn from them, see the difference in quality of the videos, content etc. And you can use it to improve even more.

Reactions: KrazyK Gaming

Kratos Aurion

You Earnestly believe you could defeat me?
Freedom! Member
May 8, 2014
Phoenix, Arizona
YouTube
I do it every now and then. Sometimes I go to the very beginning and other times I go towards the middle. It gives me a good idea of where I was back in those days. It's kind of neat to see how your content has changed.

Reactions: tovah

Robert Clark

Respected User
Freedom! Member
Jan 19, 2017
Houston Texas
YouTube
buckfumbler1
of course i mean pretty soon im a going to use lower thirds on my videos.[DOUBLEPOST=1539511084][/DOUBLEPOST]
i guess it might and i guess Small impact does" who knows i mean i didn't use Tags until this year" and ive been on youtube for 5 years.

I preferred when youtube would suggest tags for your video. you would only have to add a few generic tags and then it would suggest some based on other popular related search terms