U

User.123120

Hello all, long time no read!

Guess the quote, Get 10 credits.

Quote: "Wake me when you need me."

Facebook is getting its own Youtube!

So on August 9, 2017, Daniel Danker, Director of Product for Facebook created a post article with the title
"Introducing Watch, a new platform for shows on Facebook" In this article, he explains about the platform and gives some great list of features for "Watch".

Here is a highlight of a few things that the article included;

We’re introducing Watch, a new platform for shows on Facebook. Watch will be available on mobile, on desktop and laptop, and in our TV apps. Shows are made up of episodes — live or recorded — and follow a theme or storyline. To help you keep up with the shows you follow, Watch has a Watchlist so you never miss out on the latest episodes.

Watch is personalized to help you discover new shows, organized around what your friends and communities are watching. For example, you’ll find sections like “Most Talked About,” which highlights shows that spark conversation, “What’s Making People Laugh,” which includes shows where many people have used the “Haha” reaction, and “What Friends Are Watching,” which helps you connect with friends about shows they too are following.

Watch is a platform for all creators and publishers to find an audience, build a community of passionate fans, and earn money for their work. We think a wide variety of Facebook shows can be successful, particularly:
  • Shows that engage fans and community. Nas Daily publishes a daily show where he makes videos together with his fans from around the world. The Watchlist makes it easy for fans to catch every day’s new episode.
  • Live shows that connect directly with fans. Gabby Bernstein, a New York Times bestselling author, motivational speaker, and life coach, uses a combination of recorded and live episodes to connect with her fans and answer questions in real time.
  • Shows that follow a narrative arc or have a consistent theme. Tastemade’s Kitchen Little is a funny show about kids who watch a how-to video of a recipe, then instruct professional chefs on how to make it. Each episode features a new child, a new chef, and a new recipe. Unsurprisingly, the food doesn’t always turn out as expected.
  • Live events that bring communities together. Major League Baseball is broadcasting a game a week on Facebook, enabling people to watch live baseball while connecting with friends and fellow fans on the platform.
Not fully happy with the text, then do what I did and watch this video.

So will it work? From watching the video and reading the article it seems like Facebook has it figured out, it presented in a clean cut way, but what I didn't see after looking was a version for PC, they showed us the mobile version and that's hoping that it will be compatible with as many systems as the Youtube app is. So is this feature only going to be for the mobile apps?

From looking at the video, we can see there are a few main categories that are going to show up on the Discovery tab or the home tab, these are Today's Spotlight, New this week, Most talked about, What friends are watching. Now I don't know if my paranoia is at play here, but I can't help thinking that the "What friends are watching" tab is such a good idea.

So if you're looking into the platform and want to take your content over or even expand your content, then I suggest you aim for the following interactions to boost your video to the top. These are Shares, Likes or any reaction to the video, Comments, and Views.

Only time will tell and when we can tell if it's better than Youtube or the Youtube apps, but nothing will beat Youtube Kids. While there is no official release date for this, it's soon going to be handed off to a group of people in the US for beta testing!

So what do you guys and gals think? Let me know in the comments below!
See you soon!
ItsJustJord

Anthony Smith

Believe it or not, I believe in you!
Administrator
Verified Freedom! Partner
Freedom! Member
This is both scary and HUGE! I fear that all those stolen YouTube videos can now be even bigger on Facebooks platform... (Yes People stealing YT content and posting it on Facebook is still a HUGE problem for YT creators. On the other hand though Creators who adopt early might get a lot of promotion... just not likely to get paid...

So many conflicting emotions here!!

Reactions: Ashley SilverDust

Ashley SilverDust

Community Team
Community Team!
Freedom! Member
Feb 14, 2015
Maine, USA
YouTube
AshleySilver101
This is interesting. I could see something like this getting really successful, and I agree with Anthony above... that's a mixed bag of emotions! The first thing I think of when I think of Facebook though is that it's highly designed around giving others a way to keep up with your life. I think FB is a good platform to utilize. I would caution though, to be careful of the details you share with a potentially large audience. Even if this app is highly centered on videos specifically, I imagine that you'll be able to click a creator's name and see their profile if you want to. Unless maybe there's a completely separate type of profile for this, and maybe I'm just over thinking and worrying too much. Also, the mobile aspect is frustrating to me to be honest. There are a lot of cool things happening that are available on mobile only, and as someone that has the worst luck with mobile devices and has given up on finding affordable ones that will actually operate correctly - I feel like I'm missing out on a whole world of things.

El dreamer Soñador!

Rising User
Freedom! Member
Jul 3, 2017
Rep. Dom.
YouTube

So on August 9, 2017, Daniel Danker, Director of Product for Facebook created a post article with the title
"Introducing Watch, a new platform for shows on Facebook" In this article, he explains about the platform and gives some great list of features for "Watch".

We’re introducing Watch, a new platform for shows on Facebook. Watch will be available on mobile, on desktop and laptop, and in our TV apps. Shows are made up of episodes — live or recorded — and follow a theme or storyline. To help you keep up with the shows you follow, Watch has a Watchlist so you never miss out on the latest episodes.

Watch is personalized to help you discover new shows, organized around what your friends and communities are watching. For example, you’ll find sections like “Most Talked About,” which highlights shows that spark conversation, “What’s Making People Laugh,” which includes shows where many people have used the “Haha” reaction, and “What Friends Are Watching,” which helps you connect with friends about shows they too are following.

Watch is a platform for all creators and publishers to find an audience, build a community of passionate fans, and earn money for their work. We think a wide variety of Facebook shows can be successful, particularly:
  • Shows that engage fans and community. Nas Daily publishes a daily show where he makes videos together with his fans from around the world. The Watchlist makes it easy for fans to catch every day’s new episode.
  • Live shows that connect directly with fans. Gabby Bernstein, a New York Times bestselling author, motivational speaker, and life coach, uses a combination of recorded and live episodes to connect with her fans and answer questions in real time.
  • Shows that follow a narrative arc or have a consistent theme. Tastemade’s Kitchen Little is a funny show about kids who watch a how-to video of a recipe, then instruct professional chefs on how to make it. Each episode features a new child, a new chef, and a new recipe. Unsurprisingly, the food doesn’t always turn out as expected.
  • Live events that bring communities together. Major League Baseball is broadcasting a game a week on Facebook, enabling people to watch live baseball while connecting with friends and fellow fans on the platform.

So will it work? From watching the video and reading the article it seems like Facebook has it figured out, it presented in a clean cut way, but what I didn't see after looking was a version for PC, they showed us the mobile version and that's hoping that it will be compatible with as many systems as the Youtube app is. So is this feature only going to be for the mobile apps?

From looking at the video, we can see there are a few main categories that are going to show up on the Discovery tab or the home tab, these are Today's Spotlight, New this week, Most talked about, What friends are watching. Now I don't know if my paranoia is at play here, but I can't help thinking that the "What friends are watching" tab is such a good idea.

So if you're looking into the platform and want to take your content over or even expand your content, then I suggest you aim for the following interactions to boost your video to the top. These are Shares, Likes or any reaction to the video, Comments, and Views.

Only time will tell and when we can tell if it's better than Youtube or the Youtube apps, but nothing will beat Youtube Kids. While there is no official release date for this, it's soon going to be handed off to a group of people in the US for beta testing!

See you soon!
ItsJustJord

Interesting, but is facebook willing to let users monetize their content someday? I just can't believe it is going to happen.

quickhakker

New User
Freedom! Member
Apr 7, 2014
I don't think this project is aimed at us at all.

For a start you can see actual TV companies in the video (MLG) and the closest thing to anything you would find on youtube was the last guy shown (he seemed to be doing somehting simlar to tom and scott park bench series), even with thoes factoids aside even if it was open for content creators like us it seems to be more the style of real world live action stuff or a tv series style thing not a series like a lets play of a video game. even if it was as a youtube competitor then looking at how facebook work you would have to use patreon a lot more than monitizeing

Snaizen

Staff Member
Freedom! Member
Mar 3, 2016
YouTube
Snaizen
I had read, another day, that people get most of their time online on Facebook. I have a lot of friends that never open youtube during the day, but they are always on Facebook. This could be an opportunity for content creators to aim at a wider audience. But again, as you guys have pointed out, this may not be for everyone.

iGoDZoFLuiGii

Respected User
Freedom! Member
so facebook is adding a new system so you can upload videos to be watched by other facebook users... on facebook??? they been doing this since the start, you can all ready upload videos, share them etc... so whats the point of this add-on?

soon there gonna call it Facetube

TwilightPrinze

The Flying Dutchman
Community Team!
Freedom! Member

See you soon!
ItsJustJord

After seeing the video i have been triggered. This can be an interesting thing and i am curious to see how youtubers will use this to advantage. Small and big channels can create new opportunities with this.