Taking the shot (A Photographers View)

LifelessDane

Renowned User
Freedom! Member
Jul 19, 2014
Arcadia Bay
phyograph.wixsite.com
Photography. What is it?
This is a question, which goes far back to early 1800s.

The first photographic images (which have survived) originates from the period 1926 - 1968. During the early 1800s, the first self-portrait (or selfie) as most people preferer to call them. Self-portraits origins from the very first photographic process called the Daguerrioprocess (Invented by Louis Daguerre).
To make an image, using the Daguerrioprocess, the photographer would polish a sheet of silver-plated copper to a mirror finish, treat it with fumes that made its surface light sensitive, expose it in a camera for as long as was judged to be necessary, which could be as little as a few seconds for brightly sunlit subjects or much longer with less intense lighting; make the resulting latent image on it visible by fuming it with mercury vapor; remove its sensitivity to light by liquid chemical treatment, rinse and dry it, then seal the easily marred result behind glass in a protective enclosure.

Photography has in this case been through a constant development, from the first Daguerreotype to analog to the new digital age, and it is still being improved from this day forward.

But the question is; What does it mean to take the shot?
Photography can be various of things, it can be science, art or just a quick snapshot to your friend.
However, Photography is way more than that. It's the way to capture the moment, which will be gone forever.

To bring back to the topic of this discussion "Taking the shot". What does it mean to take the shot?
Taking a picture of a situation is one thing, making the same situation into art is another. I believe you should always take a picture no matter how small or how irrelevant the situation may be. Because the beauty of photography is not what you actual see on the picture, but rather what the meaning of it is.
_________________________________________________________________________________________
This was a short describtion of the beginning of photography, and what I mean it should be to take a picture.
But what do the rest of you actually think on this topic?
Let me know in the comments below :)

Jonathan

"You don't know me...but you will"
Freedom! Member
Feb 1, 2016
UK
jonathan.carter.games
YouTube
I personally just find myself taking shots when I see a good opportunity, most of them are my arty side taking over and saying it would look really nice & most of them do. Like so

iPIxelDot

Freedom! Member
The early photos took so long (compared to today) and was so expensive that it is very common for family members to spend their money on a portrait of a recently deceased family member so that they can remember them. Usually a live person having their photo taken, you can see somewhat of a blur because the cameras then picked it up so easily due to the longer exposure times.

Degeurro's method wasn't the first of it's kind though, although it definitely helped commercialize it due to it's speed and timing. His mentor, Niepce, used a method to create the first surviving photo (https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipe...indow_at_Le_Gras,_Joseph_Nicéphore_Niépce.jpg) and that took a couple of days to take.

Photography history is actually VERY interesting and if you're into any kind of art and/or technology, it doesn't hurt to learn about it. :)

To answer your question:
"What does it mean to take the shot?
Taking a picture of a situation is one thing, making the same situation into art is another. I believe you should always take a picture no matter how small or how irrelevant the situation may be. Because the beauty of photography is not what you actual see on the picture, but rather what the meaning of it is."

I agree. Photos have several purposes; to record a moment of history or for art. If you're going to do it for art, I always recommend playing around with your camera, with the lighting, and to keep in mind that in order to keep it interesting is to record some kind of action (whether it's literal action in the photo or creating an illusion to keep your eyes moving throughout the entire photo). Most important, have fun!

LifelessDane

Renowned User
Freedom! Member
Jul 19, 2014
Arcadia Bay
phyograph.wixsite.com
The early photos took so long (compared to today) and was so expensive that it is very common for family members to spend their money on a portrait of a recently deceased family member so that they can remember them. Usually a live person having their photo taken, you can see somewhat of a blur because the cameras then picked it up so easily due to the longer exposure times.

Degeurro's method wasn't the first of it's kind though, although it definitely helped commercialize it due to it's speed and timing. His mentor, Niepce, used a method to create the first surviving photo (https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/5/5c/View_from_the_Window_at_Le_Gras,_Joseph_Nicéphore_Niépce.jpg/220px-View_from_the_Window_at_Le_Gras,_Joseph_Nicéphore_Niépce.jpg) and that took a couple of days to take.

Photography history is actually VERY interesting and if you're into any kind of art and/or technology, it doesn't hurt to learn about it. :)

To answer your question:
"What does it mean to take the shot?
Taking a picture of a situation is one thing, making the same situation into art is another. I believe you should always take a picture no matter how small or how irrelevant the situation may be. Because the beauty of photography is not what you actual see on the picture, but rather what the meaning of it is."

I agree. Photos have several purposes; to record a moment of history or for art. If you're going to do it for art, I always recommend playing around with your camera, with the lighting, and to keep in mind that in order to keep it interesting is to record some kind of action (whether it's literal action in the photo or creating an illusion to keep your eyes moving throughout the entire photo). Most important, have fun!

Well great information, I thought the Daguerrioprocess was the first (that was what I could dig up of information) Interesting you found something which came before it :)

LifelessDane

Renowned User
Freedom! Member
Jul 19, 2014
Arcadia Bay
phyograph.wixsite.com
Pinhole cameras. Primitive form of the camera as it has no lens or mechanical functions. Works purely with chemicals and light. The freshest form of photography you can get!
I agree, they captured exatly what was in front of it, no lenses to zoom :)

I however love my Polaroid camera :) Even though It have a medium distance lense on it :p
It still shows some great results :p

Reactions: iPIxelDot